Nail Salon No No’s for Healthy Spring Feet
A visit to the nail salon is one of the many primping trips woman take when winter blues are turning into spring fever. Before you get your peek a boo toe shoes out, take notice of these easy tips to help keep your feet glamorous.
Here are 5 simple steps to follow.
Planning & Preventing
- Timing: Schedule your appointment first thing in the morning when the salon opens. The foot tubs will likely be at their cleanest and this simple step could prevent bacteria from transferring to your feet or toe nails.
- Tools: Bring your own sanitized tools from home – this will reduce risk of fungal infection because you know they were already sterilized and notpreviously used by a stranger.
- Clipping: Make certain that your pedicurist cuts your toenails straight
across the top with your toenail clipper - any other style will increase
risk of injuring your nail which can then let bacteria in quickly.
- Cleaning: Be sure that your cuticle tool is rubber or wood to remove
dirt and push back your cuticle. Metal tools can increase injury risk.
- Shaving: Shave legs the day before your pedicure. A razor can leave mild abrasions that you cannot notice easily so allow a day for your pores to recover.
- Discoloration under the nail- often black, green or yellow
- Thickened and rough nail surface
- Strange or foul odor
- Weakness around the edges of the nail
Waiting too long to treat a nail infection properly can cause deeper problems that will become harder to treat and those peek a boo toed shoes will go back to hiding in the closet!
If you do contract a fungal infection and over the counter drugs or home remedies do not give you full relief be sure to contact us at one of our five offices conveniently located in New Jersey and New York or request an appointment with any of our board-certified Doctors.