6 Ways To Avoid Falls and Fractures
Reducing your chances of falling as you get older is an excellent way to avoid becoming one of the many elderly people who have suffered a serious injury after a bad fall. Older individuals are also more likely to be experiencing osteoporosis (bone loss), which increases the severity of breaks because bone integrity has been compromised.
6 ways to help avoid falls, fractures, and other foot and ankle injuries include the following:
- Wear the proper shoes and supports—Balance and coordination can be significantly improved by wearing properly-fitted shoes along with the correct custom-made orthotic inserts to improve ankle stability.
- Follow a healthy diet—Calcium and vitamin D are essential for healthy bones. Healthy veggies like kale and broccoli are high in vitamins and calcium. Dairy products also contain a lot of calcium. Daily sun exposure will naturally increase levels of vitamin D.
- Perform regular strength and flexibility exercises—Exercises to strengthen the muscles and increase the flexibility of the tendons surrounding your feet and ankles will increase stability and improve balance to help avoid falling.
- Install safety devices and remove tripping hazards—Railings and increased lighting on stairs and in hallways will make navigation easier. Relocate or remove tripping hazards like area rugs and extension cords.
- Quit smoking—Quitting smoking is essential to healthy bone development.
- Reduce or eliminate consuming alcohol—Alcohol increases dehydration and can make you wobbly on your feet, contributing to the falling risk.
If you have experienced a foot or ankle fracture or other painful injuries after falling, consult with our board-certified podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!