5 Fascinating Foot Facts
Your feet really are a marvel of engineering and they do an incredible job every day to get you through your day. While you may tend to take your feet for granted (75% of us do!) while they do all the work of walking, standing, and exercising, here a few things to remind yourself how truly awesome your feet are.
Here are 5 fascinating foot facts:
- The largest feet ever seen—The biggest feet ever measured belong to a Venezuelan man named J. Hernandez, and are a size 26! That’s over sixteen inches long!
- Amazing components—With over 100 muscles, tendons and connecting tissues, 26 bone, and 33 joints, your feet are a design masterpiece.
- Toenail growth rate—Did you know that your toenails grow at a much slower rate than your fingernails? Toenails grow only 1/16th of an inch per month, whereas fingernails can easily grow 1/8th of an inch or more. Nails grow faster during pregnancy, the teenage years, and during the summer months.
- The thickest skin on your body—The skin on the bottoms of your feet is the thickest anywhere on your body. The heel area is very susceptible to forming cracked calluses that could possibly become infected through fissures, so inspect your feet for any cuts or wounds, especially if you have diabetes.
- Stress and pressure absorption—Your feet absorb the equivalent of hundreds of tons of weight every day.
Another fascinating foot fact to consider is that you probably have a foot problem you are not treating, since over three-fourths of people say they neglect their feet. This can be remedied by a visit to your foot doctor, so be sure to consult with our board-certified podiatrists at Foot and Ankle Center of Fort Lee, LLC. The center offers convenient locations in Fort Lee NJ, Ringwood NJ, Flushing Queens NY, Woodhaven NY, Brooklyn NY, and Forest Hills NY. Contact us at (201) 363-9844 and schedule an appointment today!